Apple Crisp Crumble Bars
Indulge in some sweet fall flavors with these delicious apple crisp crumble bars. These crumbles bars are made with better-for-you ingredients of fresh-picked apples, pecans, oats and coconut oil. The soft cinnamon apple filling pairs perfectly with a crumbly oat topping for a delicious treat!
Crust and Crumb Topping
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats divided in 1 cup and 1 1/2 cup quantities
- 1/2 cup coconut oil room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar can substitute with coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon pecans or walnuts
Apple Pie Filling
- 3 1/2 cup apples peeled and diced/sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespooon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and spray with oil.
Apple Pie Filling
- Add all apple pie filling ingredients to a medium saucepan. Cook over low to medium heat for 10 minutes until mixture is thick and apples begin to soften. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat when done.
Crust and Topping
- Add one cup of oats to food processor. Blend oats until they are a fine powder to make oat flour.
- Once you've made oat flour, add remaining oats, coconut oil, brown sugar, salt and nuts to your oat flour in the food processor. Pulse blend several times to mix. Do not over process as you want your oats and nuts to remain relatively intact. The blend should be in large crumb texture.
- Reserve 1 cup of oat mixture and set aside for your topping.
- Take remaining oat mixture and add to your parchment lined pan to form a crust. With heel of hand press down firmly to form your crust working to the edges of the pan.
- Once crust is made, pour your apple pie mixture on top of the crust and distribute evenly.
- Sprinkle oat mixture on to the apple pie blend to for your crumb topping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until crust of golden brown. Let cool before cutting.