This DIY moisturizing honey face mask is so incredibly easy to make and leaves your skin feeling smooth, looking more radiant and hydrated. Made with all natural ingredients that you likely have in your pantry it’s a simple, natural way to show your skin some major loving!
After the cool weather months, I noticed that my skin could use a little TLC. Dry and cold air can be really harsh on skin and add on stress and lack of sleep due to a crazy year left my skin looking dull, congested and dry. I’m always doing everything I can to keep my skin looking hydrated and glowing. I absolutely love getting my DIY on in the kitchen and creating homemade skin care products to help my skin get that radiant glow that I’m desiring.
I’m always looking for ways to have a more natural beauty routine. So many face masks are full of a lot of questionable ingredients and can be pretty pricy! This DIY hydrating face mask uses just a few natural ingredients and has amazing results. Manuka honey is one of those ingredients that has been touted as having amazing health benefits and can be used in so many different ways. While I love using Manuka honey for cooking, it is an absolute powerhouse for adding to your skin care routine.
What’s Manuka Honey?
Manuka honey is created from bees drinking the nectar of the Manuka plant (Leptospermum scoparium) that originates in New Zealand. What makes manuka honey so special is that Manuka honey contains a compound called metylglyogal, also known as MGO. These compounds give manuka honey powerful antimicrobial, antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory. These properties are a powerhouse when used in skincare, especially for soothing and nurturing dry, sensitive or acne prone skin.
Why use Manuka Honey for skin?
Manuka honey has some amazing skin boosting properties:
- Lessen Breakouts: The anti-bacterial and microbial properties of manuka honey are great for banishing bacteria on the skin which leads to less acne breakouts.
- Decrease Redness: The anti-inflammatory and healing properties of manuka honey is wonderful for sensitive or irritated skin. MGO has been shown to improve cell turnover leading to healthier, more radiant skin.
- Hydrating: Honey has emollient properties which attract and absorb moisture for more hydrated skin.
- Brightens Skin: The enzymes in manuka honey work as a gentle exfoliant to remove dead and dull skin cells to let glowing skin shine through.
DIY Moisturizing Honey Face Mask
This hydrating and moisturizing honey mask is great for acne prone, dry or aging skin. Manuka can be very soothing for sensitive skin, gives a wonderful boost of hydration and has natural healing properties. The oat flour is a gently exfoliant to slough away dry and dull skin. If you have vitamin C, it’s a wonderful addition for a boost of vitamin C which is wonderful for brightening skin. I love adding lavender as it has anti-inflammatory properties and adds a light scent. Rose hip seed oil also is a nice addition as it can aid in skin renewal to replenish a healthy glow and for antioxidant protection.
This mask is perfect to use once or twice a week to give yourself a little TLC skincare.
- 1 Tbsp oat flour (can purchase here, or grind your own oats in a food processor/blender)
- 1 Tbsp manuka honey
- 1/2 tsp Vitamin C crystals (optional, can purchase here)
- 2 drops lavender essential oil, optional
- 1 drop rose hip seed oil, optional
Add all ingredients together until well mixed.
- Clean skin well prior to use.
- Massage on to damp face in a gentle, circular motion, avoiding the eye area.
- Let the mask sit on your skin for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and clean washcloth.
- Follow up with your favorite toner and moisturizer.
Note: Vitamin C can make your skin more sensitive to sun so be sure to use sunscreen generously.
Have you tried this yet? Let me know if you have!
You can find all ingredients for this recipe at nowfoods.com. Use code AMBER for 20% off at nowfoods.com.