Irresistible Southwest Pork Kabobs
Simple, savory, and a little bit of heat! These skewers are perfect for hosting a backyard BBQ and are super easy to make as well. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand (I love using seasonable veggies when I can) and the seasoning can be kicked up a notch, if needed, depending on preferences. The acidic marinade yields an incredibly flavorful and tender pork tenderloin that is sure to please everyone.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp molasses unsulphured
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2-3 pounds pork tenderloin cut in 1 inch pieces
- 4 tsp chile powder
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
Vegetables for Grilling
- 6 cups cut vegetables Personal preference: Onions, potatoes, peppers, zucchini, squash, mushrooms
Pico de Gallo
- 2 cups diced roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno diced and seeded
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh and chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
Pork and Vegetables Kabobs
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the marinade ingredients (do not add pork tenderloin yet). Once whisked together, add pork tenderloin, mix well to distribute marinade, cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients of the seasoning and set aside for later use.
- Wash and cut vegetables that will be used for the kabobs. Dice into 1 inch slices or cubes. Lightly toss with olive oil and season with 1/4 of the seasoning (save the rest of seasoning for pork).
- Once pork has marinaded, pour off the remaining marinade. Toss pork with olive oil and mix in the rest of the seasoning. Rub seasoning into the meat. Let pork stand at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Put together your kabobs. Alternate your meat and vegetables.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat (400 F). Let grill preheat for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Grill the kabobs over direct heat with the lid closed for 25-30 minutes. Turn once. Check to ensure that pork is cooked completely, remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with pico and enjoy!
Pico de Gallo
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and allow flavors to blend for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
If using wood skewers, be sure to soak them for 30 minutes prior to use to avoid smoldering/fire. I highly recommend metal skewers (can be found here - affiliate link).