Although the cooler temperatures make me feel like hibernating on the couch with a fuzzy blanket, my kiddos are still full of SO much energy. This time of year is always a tough one for me because while I feel the lack of energy due to cooler weather and shorter days, I don’t want to become inactive or neglect healthy living habits. My kids are very active so it’s imperative that they get out to run off some of their energy so we often bundle up in cool weather gear and head outside to enjoy all the fun activities that fall has to offer.
I’ve found that getting outside, some fresh air and sunlight makes a huge difference in our mood, health and happiness. With cold and flu season, back to school, and holiday parties our immune systems are getting hit hard with lots of cold and flu viruses. To keep our health in tip top shape, we stay pretty vigilant and proactive to help support our immune system when we can.
Below are a few of the ways that we stay active and healthy in the fall:
Support Your Immune System
Fall means back to school and holiday parties. Limiting your sugar, eating nutritious, and supporting your immune system† with vitamins and supplements is a no brainer! When it comes to vitamins, we love using Nature Made products. Nature Made has the 1st gummies verified by USP for purity and potency.* For my son, I use Kids First Vitamin C Gummies (for ages 4+).
These gummies are an excellent source of Vitamin C and are perfect for supporting the immune system† plus their great tasting natural flavor means no battles in getting your kids to take them. No large capsules or pills are a must since my son struggles with taking them. The easy to chew gummies are something that he looks forward to every morning and such an easy way to help him support his immune system† during the winter.
For myself, I take Nature Made Multi for Her Plus Omega-3 Gummies daily. I have always had a hard time taking large capsules or tablets so having a multivitamin in gummy form is perfect (plus they taste great).
They are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals to support all different systems and areas of my body for optimal health:
- Excellent source of vitamins A, C, D3, and E, as well as key B vitamins (folic acid, biotin, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12), and important minerals such as chromium and zinc.
- B vitamins support cellular energy production†
- Folic acid is particularly important during childbearing years, playing a critical role in the proper development of the baby’s nervous system†
- Vitamin A is essential for healthy eye function†
- Vitamins A, C, and D as well as zinc help support the immune system†
- Vitamins C and E provide antioxidant support†
- Vitamin D helps support healthy bones and teeth†
Be sure to take advantage of this current high value savings on Cartwheel at Target. You can save 30% off all Nature Made products while supplies last.
Fall offers so many fun activities to keep you moving that you can’t find the rest of the year. There’s something so beautiful about the crisp air, changing leaves and that fall smell. Some of my favorite activities to do with my children this time of year are:
- Raking leaves! Great workout for the parents and young kids love helping. Making huge piles of leaves for kids to jump in is always a blast. You can also take the large piles of leaves and make mazes and labyrinths for kids to navigate.
- Nature Walks! Bundle up and head to your local park or trail and note all the changes. My children learn so much about nature and animals on these walks and our conversation is always so fun. For little ones, pop them in the stroller or baby wearing carrier (plus parents get a little extra workout). There are so many fun scavenger hunt printable that you can find online for all different ages.
- Collect leaves to use for craft and art projects.
- Bike rides are great this time of year. The cooler weather makes it more enjoyable and you can cover more ground to see all the beautiful sights that fall has to offer.
- Harvest apples! Taking a trip to your local orchard and wandering through the trees while picking apples is a perfect way to enjoy the outdoors and get some activity.
- Pumpkin patch! Pick the perfect pumpkin to bring home and decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving
- Festivals! There are often a ton of fall inspired festivals this time of year. Take a mini day trip to explore a new town and festival.
- On rainy or too cold days, streaming videos are perfect for exercising from home. We love dance workouts and both of my kids always join in too.
- Check out a local corn maze.
- Gather friends and family and play touch football.
- Visit your local park to feed the ducks or head to a petting zoo.
- Visit local bounce houses and let the kids burn off some energy.
- Many local pools have open hours for residents. Go enjoy some warmer temperatures and splash away.
Eat Seasonable Super Foods
Fall harvest has so many amazing superfoods that can add a nutritional boost to your diet. Below are just a few to add to your meals:
- Apples: So many antioxidants and fiber. Don’t peel the skin as that’s where most the nutrients are.
- Pumpin: Packed with potassium, B vitamins and fiber.
- Brussel Sprouts: Loaded with iron, vitamin K and folate. Perfect roasted in the oven!
- Pomegranates: Packed with antioxidants, vitamin C and folate. Toss arils on brussel sprouts for a pop of flavor.
- Parsnips: Rich in nutrients like fiber, folate, potassium, and vitamin.
How do you stay active and healthy in the fall?
What’s your biggest struggle?
† These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
*Find those Nature Made USP verified gummies on NatureMade.com/USP
These are great tips! It is so important to invest in your families health instead of paying for “sick care” We learned that lesson the hard way last year.
these are some amazing tips! really needed for children and adults in changing seasons. thanks for sharing!
I love staying active with our kids outdoors. Fall is my favorite season for the perfect outdoor weather. ~client
Fall is perfect for doing active family activities because the heat of summer has passed. I enjoy going for evening walks with our kids and dogs.
I’ve been wanting to get some great gummy vitamins for my little guys – totally taking your recommendation 🙂 great post!
Great tips! I definitely need to stop neglecting my vitamins and time outdoors during the fall.
What a great reminder as we enter into “Sick Season” I will come back to these tips for sure!