Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
It amazes me that this year is almost over. I feel like it has went by in a flash (each year seems to move quicker and quicker) and that we are venturing into another year. I always get the itch after Christmas to get a jump start on my goals and resolutions for the new year. I don’t think that people should necessarily wait until the new year to make goals, but to continuously do so, however, this does set an easy starting point. I always like to look back and reflect on the year and think about the new things that I would like to accomplish for the next year.
Set realistic goals. I’m not saying to not push yourself, but if you aren’t active at all, set smaller goals (such as doing a 5k) and move onto the larger ones (i.e. marathon). Setting yourself up for unrealistic goals will only lead to feelings of failure, frustration and stress.
Set goals, for yourself and tailored to yourself. Just because everyone is setting the same goal, doesn’t mean its perfect for you. Your goals should reflect YOUR role in life.
Be specific. The more specific you are the more likely you are to get what you want. Sometimes making a bunch of small goals, can help you achieve a bigger one. Start small, work towards getting bigger.
Set guidelines and steps for obtaining your goals! I always like to set a guideline so I have a specific date, number and/or thing to strive for. Set out the steps for yourself and really think about what you need to do to get there.
Give yourself a reward for obtaining your goal. Whether it be a pat on the back, the thrill of obtaining it, or a new wardrobe/spa day…whatever it is that you would love or that would compliment your accomplishment.
My Goals for the Year
- Run at least 3 races (5k and higher). I know for sure that I’ll be participating in Warrior Dash, but want to do many more, especially those benefiting causes I love (autism, cancer, habitat, environmental).
- Do yoga once a week. I’m thinking about signing up with a class at the university.
- Meatless Monday: I want to start incorporating a bit less meat in my diet.
- Wash my face before bed. This sounds like a no brainer, but most nights I’m falling asleep and just crash into bed.
- Graduate in December with at least a 3.5 gpa
- Find an amazing, paid internship for the summer. Really want some amazing hands on work.
- Learn Photoshop and feel comfortable using it.
- Blog at least once, preferably 3 times per week. I know that I’ll be super busy with classes and work so would like to at least have a maintainable goal.
- Learn to use my DSLR. Right now I am a complete novice and have no idea what I’m doing.
- Craft more. I really want to learn how to use my sewing machine and become a master with my Silhouette.
What goals do you have for the year? Are there any tips that help you achieve your goals? I’d really love to hear others resolutions!
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. ~Henry Ford
Spread the love