Shredded and Crispy Chipotle Chicken
This simple and delicious recipe for Shredded and Crispy Chipotle Chicken is SO good and so easy to make. I usually make mine in my pressure cooker, but you can also use a slow cooker to make. The little extra work of putting it under the broiler to brown and crisp is worth the extra effort and time (only 5 extra minutes!). I love that the chicken can be used throughout the week in so many ways and the taste is just out of this world yummy! I love using this chicken on rice, quinoa, in salads, quesadillas, nachos or even throw it into the crock pot with some broth and veggies for a spicy soup. This recipe can be cooked in pressure cooker or slow cooker or crock pot. For purposes of this post, the below directions are for the pressure cooker and I'll add modifications for slow cooker in the notes section.
- 4 to 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 onion quartered
- 5-7 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 lime juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 orange juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 chicken broth
- 2 to 4 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (the more peppers the spicier!)
- 1 to 2 TBSP adobe sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro packed and chopped
- Turn on saute function on pressure cooker and add 1 TBSP of olive oil.
- Season chicken breast with cumin, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Sear on each side for several minutes and remove from pan.
- Add additional olive oil and add onions and cook 2 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook additional minute.
- Add chicken back into pressure cooker, add all juices, adobe sauce, chipotle peppers and chicken broth.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes under high pressure depending on size of breasts and if completely thawed. Note: when I cook from a frozen state I cook for 12 minutes.
- When finished cooking, release pressure, remove chicken, peppers and onions and shred. Add cilantro to shredded chicken mixture. Save broth. Oil a large pan and place shredded chicken on pan. Drizzle several TBSP of broth over chicken.
- Heat broiler on high. Broil for several minutes under broiler until chicken browns and becomes more crisp. Mix frequently to ensure all chicken is evenly broiled. Note: To facilitate browning, you can spray with a bit of cooking spray or toss with olive oil.
Notes: For those using a slow cooker, simply add chicken and all other ingredients (aside from cilantro) and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until chicken is fully cooked. Once chicken is done, shred and finish under the broiler.